6.4.11

Centre Pompidou

Today we meandered over to the Centre Pompidou. It is a huge complex that strives to be the cultural center of the city. They have visual art, performance art, cinematic art, a massive public library and much more. We spent most of our day in the Musee National D'Art Moderne. We saw works of Matisse, Picasso, Leger and Delauney. There was also a special exhibit of an artist named Jean-Michel Othoniel that was spectacular.

We enjoyed lunch on the rooftop restaurant with 365 degree views of Paris. We could see Sacre-Couer, Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower and much more all perched over an incredible infinity fountain. I apologize for not taking a single photo of the view, but I was engrossed in the food and beauty of the moment and it did not occur to me until we had left that I had not pulled out my camera. I took a chance and ordered something that I had no idea what it was. It was delicious, but even having eaten the entire plate, I am not sure what it was. How cool is that!?! Emma had Eggs Benedict, which might sound tame, but they were insanely decadent! I can sincerely say they were the best eggs I have ever tasted. For dessert we shared an enormous plate of strawberries and raspberries with whipped cream. Now those of you who know me well, know that raspberries are not really my cup of tea (unless they come straight off the bushes of the Salmon Ranch in New Mexico), however these were an entirely different species. the flavor was divine! Emma was surprised to find herself having to fight me over them.

Emma and I have noticed another interesting difference here in Paris. If there is a table that will hold four people, and only two people are sitting there, then they will place two more people on the second half of the table. Three times now we have shared a table with complete strangers. As far as we can tell, the protocol is to ignore each other, but it will take us a while to get accustomed to it.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to see the Centre Pompidou! What did you think of the external architecture? Isn't it odd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have an affectionate nickname for the Centre here, they call it Notre-Dame des Tuyeaux (Our Lady of the Pipes). It looks like it was built by kids, which is one of the reasons we loved it. Also, when you are wandering through all those clear tunnels that look like a hamster cage, it is warm! The sunshine makes a lovely little greenhouse effect. It must be boiling in the summer, though.

    ReplyDelete